Friday 1 June 2007

Rice puddingey

Synaesthesia makes a vague impact upon my life as I watch Tales of the Unexpected.

In the episode I choose (to help me navigate the stack of ironing I have been growing over a period of several weeks), the actor Keith Barron plays a murderous husband. As this is Tales his plan goes horribly wrong, and his lover is murdered instead of his wife by his doofus hired gun. He didn't expect that.

Anyway, the plot is immaterial. As soon as Keith comes on screen I can taste rice pudding. And I don't like it.

A week later Barron appears in something else I'm watching and the same thing happens. Rice pudding.

Later in the week a caretaker passes my desk, his lab coat gusting cape-like as he trots along whistling the theme from Duty Free (or at least something similarly Spanish sounding and jaunty). Again, Ambrosia; cooked in a saucepan till it nearly catches. Dusted in sugary ramekin batches.

As much as I like Keith Barron this must be stopped, so I decide, one lonely Wednesday night, to make a quantity of delicious butterscotch Angel Delight and re-watch the tales of the unexpected episode which kicked this whole sorry business off. I am also armed with a giant Toblerone, just in case.

Alas, failure. I swear I could be glugging TCP and I'd still taste rice pud when Barron appears.

But it could have been worse: thank the lord that John Nettles never appeared in Tales of the Unexpected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Barron

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/ricepuddingbaked_3577.shtml

No comments: